Friday, October 17, 2008

Duff McKagan Drops Some Sports Knowledge Like Girls Be Droppin' Babies


Former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan has a weekly column in the Seattle Reader. In this week's column, McKagan lets us know how he really feels on all things Seattle sports.

On the Sonics move to OKC: "I’m sorry, that move was utter bullshit. If anyone reading thinks that Seattle didn’t need the Sonics because of ticket costs or new arena bond issues, they should maybe go ask Seattle-area hotels and restaurants what THEY think."

On the Mariners: "The Mariners’ ownership is based in another country and can’t really be bothered with anything other than the bottom line."

McKagan also has an interesting tidbit about Tony LaRussa.
"I ran into Tony LaRussa at one of my gigs last spring and he was dismayed that the Mariners had passed him over a few months earlier.
“They passed you over?!” I exclaimed.
"Yeah, it’s too bad, I would have loved the gig."
Tony LaRussa had just won a World Series with the Cardinals! We need some good management, and I hope they do the right thing this off-season. If not, I suggest we all boycott. Shit, Sweet Lou left because management wasn’t allowing him to do his thing as he saw fit.
On the Huskies: "...the Huskies football squad looks like a junior college squad"

Don't even get him started on the Seahawks. What's Duff's solution to Seattle's sports woes? Let sports radio personalities take over the teams for a week and in the meantime, abandon ship.
So I have started to root for other teams. I like the Brett Favre story, so I will pull for the Jets. They are winning and that is fun. The Red Sox have been my backup MLB team since the Bill Buckner era (hey, that dude was a solid player). College football? How about Toledo—my wife is from there, so why not? The NBA? I have soured on the NBA and refuse to watch. On second thought, Ray Allen is with the Celtics, and he gave his all for the Sonics.
It's that kind of attitude that makes Velvet Revolver suck as much as it does. Did he mentally abandon ship when he realized that they had no business sucking considering the makeup of the group?

Tony LaRussa would have considered leaving the Cards for the Mariners if he had been offered the job? He was passed over for the job? Who knew Mike Holmgren was also GM of the Mariners?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fuck man.
at least he can put a sentence together.....