Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The 44th President Of The United States, Barack Hussein Obama


Let's take a moment from the hilarity and insight that you crave and we give on a bi-monthly basis. We're gonna get a little serious on you. Bear with us or just skip this post.

Take a minute to reflect on the events in Washington DC this morning. Today's inauguration of Barack Obama is a milestone in our nation's history (as cliched as that sounds). It's something I wasn't sure I'd see in my lifetime and I never thought I would see it this soon.

I first became aware of President Obama in 2003 when I was introduced to him in Chicago by a friend who was a campaign volunteer and former law student of his. We were in a dive called Yakzies across from Wrigley Field back in 2003 for an Obama for Senate fundraiser. At the time I was a new arrival from DC, tired of politics and had no interest in hearing one more politician wax idiotic about what he or she was going to do when elected. I was nagged into going and after hearing him speak for a couple minutes, I was amazed that I was actually interested and intrigued by what he had to say. Another friend recently reminded me that I was raving about him at dinner a few days later and I actually called him "a man of the people" in explaining why I thought he was the man. Perhaps a bit overboard considering I didn't know much about him at the time. I thought he would make a great senator but at no time did I imagine he would be president in six years.

Obama has his work cut out for him and we have yet to see what kind of president he will be but we can worry about that when the inauguration jamboree is over. Try to enjoy the moment no matter where your political sympathies lie.

I better get my reparations check and mule by next Friday or I'm gonna go apeshit. I don't want the 40 acres. That's work I don't need and I can't sell the land for anything in this real estate market.


Picture via Chicago Tribune

No comments: