Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Who Buys This Sh*t? NFL Edition

The NFL season is underway with fans across the nation frothing at the mouth for every last bit of news about their favorite teams, heading out to training camps in the July heat and stocking up on stupid, insane memorabilia that they think proves their loyalty to a team and league which cares only about the money they give them. Which brings me to this...there are some NFL products out there that I know the vast majority of people out there would never buy...ever. I make no apologies for my love (hate) of the Washington Redskins, but that doesn't mean I would buy anything with a logo slapped on it. I have a couple t-shirts, a coffee mug and a jersey for the late Sean Taylor...thats it. Does anyone need more? There is a whole lot of crap out there and we're gonna show you the worst of the NFL merchandise that you can purchase for this upcoming football season:


The NFL $3000 Purse:
I honestly cannot believe I just wrote that but there are three thousand dollar NFL licenced purses that you can buy that feature over 5,300 Swarovski crystals to give them all sorts of bling. My mouth is agape. Although if that purse is too pricey, you can always pick up the $2449 football shaped Swarovski crystal purse. Yes, that is far more practical.

The NFL Office Chair:
I'm not sure what office you work in, but mine does not allow me to spend $400 on an office chair just because it has the team colors and logo of my favorite franchise. While I am sure it's plenty ergonomic, this is just an utter waste of resources here. The office manager would be throwing a fit when I tried to write this off...and by office manager, I mean the woman I live with who would force me to sleep in that chair because I spent $400 on it instead of say, a new comforter set for our bed.
The NFL Boiler:
A fucking boiler? Is there no limit to what the NFL will license it's name out to? Jesus Christ. The last thing I want to think about when I'm cooking up a pot roast is how my team is going to cope with a 2 game losing streak...oh wait, its not even made for cooking! If you look at the description, this is just a glorified copper basket. You're supposed to use it for firewood or to fill with ice for your favorite beverage...for $199. Shit, for 200 bucks, this thing better start the fire, cook me dinner and hand me my favorite beverage.

The NFL "Creepiest Sleeping Bag Ever":
"Ya sure, I'll be in bed in a sec hon, I'ma just gonna to check on lil' Brett...AH JESUS CHRIST! Lil' Brett, what da hell are ya doin' tah your sleeping bag???" Yea this thing isn't creepy. When I have kids, I want them all to cuddle in bed next to their favorite Packer...not named Mark Chmura. As a side joke, the bag is not waterproof, insert your own here.


The NFL Watch:
Personally, I have no hesitation in dropping $1500 on a watch made by a company that I've never heard of, just so long as it has the official NFL seal of approval. That means it's quality right there. Screw Tag or Rolex or Breitling, NFL is tha shit son. Everyone I know will be jealous of my fifteen hundred dollar watch with gold accents (ACCENTS?) and ceramic dial (CERAMIC???) not to mention the diamonds at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 time marks. Oh yea...bling bling son, bling bling.
NFL Pool Chlorinators:
Well this is just logical isn't it?

The NFL "We Don't Support Any Religion But Christianity" Advent Calendar:
Lest thee wonder which religion is the official religion of the NFL, wonder no longer.
The NFL Cufflinks:
When I rock a fine suit, the first thing I want people to see when they see me is what NFL football team I root for. Hell yea! This will be perfect for the next office party.

NFL Autographed Ryan Leaf Photo:
Yea, that was a little mean.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I run a blog dedicated to tailgating and you would not believe the stuff people will buy so long as it has their team's logo on it. And it is not just quarantined to NFL fans either. College football fans are even worse.

Chimpanzee Rage said...

Yea Dave, I'd imagine the collegiate world of merchandising would be insane. The colleges can do whatever they want. Scary

Truth About It said...

HA!
That sleeping bag one had me cracking up.

I may be wrong, but "passion" may have not been the best word to put in the description:

Your child can snuggle up for a night's sleep while showing passion for their favorite team....

Unsilent Majority said...

Must have Redskins bukkit...

Anonymous said...

Check this one out... 36 inch LaMont Jordan bobblehead. Was only $299.99 now on sale for the low, low price of $215.

Anonymous said...

Here's the link:

http://oaklandraiders.stores.yahoo.net/606506120000.html

Anonymous said...

What no NFL condoms? You know your being screwed by the NFL anyway.