Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Billy Ocean Would Be Disappointed in Bobby Petrino

"White power, white power!"

Somehow I don't think Billy Ocean meant for people to take him literally when he said, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." If that were the case with "Get Out of My Dreams, Get Into My Car"**, Chester the Child Molester would be using that song as his script when cruising in his cargo van at 2:30 PM Monday through Friday.

Petrino took to the podium during SEC media days and gave excuses so good that Nick Saban might have shed a tear if he had anything but coal and greed in his heart. When asked about his new job as Razorback head coach and his departure from the Falcons, the b.s. started to flow like the runs.
"Yeah [the Falcons situation] was [the most difficult time he endured as a coach]," he said. "It was a trying situation. But everybody there worked as hard as they could to do the best job they could. ... The whole situation, the timing was bad, no question. With the Falcons, and with Arkansas, it was really the only way it could play out."
Three games left in the season. Oh I don't know. Maybe he could have finished the season then resigned to pull a Rodney Dangerfield. Maybe he could have addressed his team and the organization face to face instead of sneaking out like a Mayflower truck (not that I'm still bitter about the Colts or anything).
Maybe he could have been straight up with owner Arthur Blank instead of lying to his face.
In Atlanta, Petrino found himself handcuffed by the dog-fighting controversy that surrounded quarterback Michael Vick. He said one the primary attractions of joining the Falcons was the opportunity [to] coach Vick.

After Vick was suspended by the league and eventually sentenced to federal prison, Petrino said much of the attraction was gone.

"They had a quarterback at that time that I thought could be real special, so that played a lot into it," he said. "But, you know, it was a difficult season. You always try to look back and really try to reflect on what I could have done better here and what we could have done better."
Billy Ocean says Petrino is very bad man. At least that's what I think he would say. I imagine he sounds like Jar Jar Binks or Screwface when he talks unless he fakes it like Lennox Lewis.

Arkansas must be pleased to know that when things get hard, Coach Bobby will have one foot out the door. I can understand wanting to run away from the worst QB in NFL history but the city and rest of the team had no choice. Do players and fans need to worry about his commitment if they hit a rough patch or lose some of their top players to injury, arrest or ineligibility?

I can't wait until his press conference in the fall of 2009 when he takes the Valley High job. "
I love high school football. I was asked earlier what it is I like about high school football. And really the answer is everything."


** You can't tell me that "Get Out of My Dreams, Get Into My Car" isn't a stalker anthem. Listen to the lyrics and don't be distracted by the awesome animation and choreography. Every Breath You Take and Invisible could also be included on a compilation album. "Is that Stalker Rock? Well turn it up!"

Did I just admit I know a Clay Aiken song? Shit, it must be the Malibu talking. Wait, I swear someone just told me as I was writing this. I thought it was Nick Lachey. That's better? Right? Please tell me I'm not a douchebag ... Hello?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a Clay Aiken song, but it goes "Get out of my dreams, get out of my bed"

Hey it's actually pretty good.

Anonymous said...

I think he was talking about "Invisible," which is also a good song. Clay Aiken is a million times better than Nick Lachey, and you know it.

Spankey42 said...

you're not a douche bag but you do have an unhealthy obsession with Billy Ocean

Anonymous said...

You're clueless.

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I'm actually somewhat a fan of some of Aiken's songs and hate Petrino with a passion. He already had a dirty name and history when he took the Atlanta job -- Louisville anyone? Can't imagine that Arkansas thinks he can be trusted. As to the Aiken songs, yeah Invisible has a pretty good beat regardless of being called a stalker song -- the guy tends to really belt on it. The other one someone mentioned, "get out of my bed" is a newer song -- also pretty cool and definitely different from his usual stuff.

Cool blog.