Monday, July 28, 2008

Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Spicy


The rivalry between Takeru Kobayashi and Joey "Jaws" Chestnut is going international. It didn't take long for Kobayashi to get his revenge against Chestnut after losing the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest earlier this month. He won a chicken satay eating contest in Singapore by eating 5 kilos of satay. Jaws finished second with 4 kilos.
“During a contest, I get in a zone where it’s just me and the food,” Kobayashi said after the match, with pea-green chicken sauce splattered all over his black T-shirt. “Sometimes it’s like I’m in a trance.”

The blue-haired, boyish-looking 30-year-old, who took home about US$200,000 in prize money and appearance fees last year, laughed and blushed when asked about his sex symbol status among legions of female fans in his homeland.

“It’s very embarrassing. I don’t think I’m a sex symbol,” Kobayashi said. “But sometimes women send me their clothing.”
Chestnut made excuses but was an honorable loser (if one can find any honor in losing).
“The sauce was sweeter than I expected, and that slowed me,” said Chestnut, who once ate 66 hot-dogs and buns in 12 minutes. “I couldn’t find my rhythm. And Kobayashi is a machine.”
Singapore hosted the contest as "part of a bid to fashion the city-state as a more hip and attractive place to live". Contests of gluttony determine where I live. I'm thinking about moving and my choices are down to Singapore, Coney Island and Wisconsin. Apparently they also determine the ass I get. Ladies, you can find me on the corner of 1st and 1st challenging real homeless people to beef patty eating contests. I'll win. If you don't eat for a long time, your body begins to reject food. They don't know that. I do.

No comments: