Monday, July 21, 2008

Scott Linebrink Doesn't Trust Your Newfangled Medicine

Yao Ming isn't the only one resorting to traditional medicine in order to deal with injuries and ailments. White Sox reliever Scott Linebrink is cheating on the training room with acupuncture and Gua Sha.
"[Acupuncture] hasn't eliminated the migraines, but it has made them more manageable and less frequent," said Linebrink, who personally discovered the ancient Chinese remedy after his signing with the Sox.

"I'll tell you what, it relaxes me more than a massage," he said. "It's a total body thing. I tell [the acupuncturist] what's bothering me [so] he also does the back and shoulders.
Some of you may be unfamiliar with the practice of Gua Sha. It involves "[scraping] shoulder skin to take away stagnant blood and replace it with fresh blood".
"It's not very comfortable and … my back is black and blue," he said. "It looks terrible. The first time I came home my wife said, 'What in the world happened to you. It looks like you got flogged.'

... "If there's something that can speed along the [recovery] process, I'm for it."
Might want to be careful about that. Just ask Andy Pettite.

No comments: