Monday, July 28, 2008

Deuce Book Review: "Sold Out So What!"

I got an email the other day talking about a book that was supposed to enable anyone to score any tickets to any event no matter if they claim they were sold out. Naturally, I was intrigued, so I asked for a copy of it, read through it in an hour and here's what I think of the book "Max Deale's Sold Out...So What!" by Max Deale.

Right of the bat, I noticed that its a thin read, that could be a good or a bad thing depending on the person. Me, I think its a good thing, because I don't have a ton of time to read books and review them since I have a day job here (Sorry Kenny Mayne). The first couple chapters are a lot of background as to how Max got started scoring tickets to events, which got me to skip ahead pretty quick to how he actually goes about getting tickets to sold out events and from there I indeed found some useful information.

Yea, the tips and tricks Deale lists are actually solid, some of them I've used before (ie: use Craigslist) when I've wanted to score tickets, but his tips were good in telling the reader how to maximize their efforts in ways that you might not have thought of. I could pick out several things I've done wrong when getting tickets to shows that I will now correct the next time I get tickets.

I could probably sum up the book in a few paragraphs because the tips are pretty easy to get a grasp of, but then you'd have no reason to buy the book and thats the point isnt it? I mean its only 15 bucks on Amazon and you'll certainly save that money in ticketmaster fees from the first pair of tickets you purchase for a show.

Overall, there's a bit of filler for a the tips and tricks given but the points that are made in the book are valid and well thought out. You could tell that he has done these many times and they have worked. The style of writing is extremely conversational, kind of like a conversation between you and Billy Mays (you should watch that link) so get used to your book speaking loudly to you. Also, on a side note, Max and I certainly have different tastes in music, I was completely appalled at some of the concerts he tried and got tickets for but that is besides the whole point...which is to tell you how to score tix to sold out shows and the book does succeed in this.

If you are tired of getting the shaft with ticketmaster fees, radio contests to sold out shows you never win, or jacked up resellers prices, give the book a shot. It just might help you out.

(If you want to hear Max on the Radio, he'll be on the Ferrall show on Howard Stern's channel on Sirius on July 31st at 8:30pm EST give a listen if you've got the technology.)

You can get the book at Max Deale's site or Amazon

No comments: