Monday, October 1, 2007

Mark Cuban The Odds Are Against You


I watch a lot of crappy reality television shows, but I've never been a fan of the Dancing With The Stars series. How this is interesting television is more curious to me than why I can fart so much more potently after 10pm than at any other time of the day. Watching "celebrities" dance with professional dancers and then judging them on their (lack) of abilities never, to me, seemed like engaging television. Nevertheless, people are interested in this crap, and sports personalities looking to keep their names in the lights have latched on to this in a big way. Mark Cuban, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Helio Castroneves are featured in this season's Dancing With The Stars and since I am a gambling man, I looked up what the odds were that any of these yahoos would actually win this thing like Emmitt did last season.

Bodog has Mark Cuban at 23-2 odds of winning, easily some of the worst odds of any contestant on the show. This pretty much makes sense because he is, after all, just one gigantic computer geek.

What surprised me was that Mayweather doesn't have the best odds of the three, at 6-1. You'd think he would have the best control over his feet and body what with all the dancing around you have to do in the boxing ring. I guess the bookies do not believe that shuffling around a ring translates onto a dance floor.

Helio is looking the strongest with 11-4 odds. I can only assume the oddsmakers have given him these odds due to either his Brazilian roots or because drivers have to move their feet quickly to push the clutch in to shift their automobiles. Amazingly they have Helio at better odds than such veterans of the stage as Wayne Newton and Marie Osmond. The bookies are laying down a bold statement with this. Either race car drivers have a heretofore unknown ability to really cut a rug...or oddsmakers are bigots. Shocking, I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'd like to think the odds are against the son-of-a-bitch, but....

are you kidding me? There is no freakin' way that Albert should go home, while that clumsy geriatric fart stays on. This is messed up. Vote your conscience: http://www.youpolls.com/details.asp?pid=626