Friday, August 15, 2008

My Name Is Darryl But You Can Call Me D

Athlete and rapper. Together at last like peanuts and gum. There's not much better than hearing athletes embarass themselves on wax. "I'm great on the field or court so how could I not also be good at the rap game." The list of wack sports rappers is long. Kobe, AI, Neon Deion, Shaq, Chicago Bears, MC Hammer (well he was a batboy). Who was the first athlete to go solo on wax? I'm not sure but Darryl Strawberry had to be one of the first to do it.

You might have forgotten about this gem called "Chocolate Strawberry" recorded by Darryl, UTFO and Run DMC in 1987.
When I'm runnin, all the players make space
My name is Darryl, I'm a baseball player
One thing I forgot to say-a
When I'm on the field I'm on top of the world
I get screams from all the girls (Dar-ryl!)
Eat your heart out, Roger Craig. These lyrics are funky fresh!

We'll leave you with these two works of brilliance for Friday. These first has the added bonus of Roger Craig rapping and Jerry Rice doing the K-Swiss. We give you the 49ers Rap.




This is the coup de grace. Not only does it feature Deion Sanders but it also showcases MC Hammer and the one and only Jean Claude Van Damme. There's nothing the Belgian Bomber can't do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I got me a hankerin for some Super Bowl Shuffle!

JD said...

Holy mother of God...how did you find this before I did? I'm crushed. JCVD will be the best man at my wedding - I promise you this.