Friday, November 30, 2007

What Time Is It? Ray Time!


There's been quite a bit of back and forth about the killing of Sean Taylor this past week. The Deuce has certainly had a lot to say about as have blowhards like Michael Wilbon and Len Shapiro. In our haste to find some sort of logic or explanation behind Taylor's death, we seem to have forgotten where the focus should lie. Thankfully, we have Ray Lewis for that.
"I understand the magnitude of this game with the Patriots and everything coming in, but the bottom line is, I was more than a friend to Sean Taylor. I was someone he definitely looked up to, and bottom line, it's unfortunate that situations happen like this. When they do happen like this, some things pull you away from everything else that everybody else wants you to worry about. This right here is life. It doesn't change. Life is, once it's gone, it's gone.

"For me, as a man, there's a lot that, as a man, I'm going through right now. That I have to ask God for my strength and my faith, to keep pushing on through life, and keep encouraging young men to do the right things here and there. To think about anything else, really, outside of trying to find a way to really deal with my personal feelings, I think it would be very selfish of me to even try to comment on anything without trying to create something that I probably would be making up.

"As a man, I would just ask for you guys, sympathy just to understand that right now is a very challenging time. Not just for me, for the University of Miami family, everybody. You don't lose a 24-year old kid with that much promise in life like this, it makes you take a step back. For me, it made me take a huge, huge step back. To ask God, what is it that you want me to do, what is it that you want me to stop being selfish about, and things like that.

"If anything, the game is going to take care of itself. I'm just going to get through this weekend, hopefully help a lot of my teammates get through this week as well as a lot of the Hurricane family. We're just going to go from there. "
I have an idea what you can stop being selfish about. Who's this supposed to be about now? Oh yeah, what's his face. I know who I want around when I suffer a personal loss.

"Yeah man, that's some tough shit you're going through and you gotta ask God about that but see man, I'm hungry and I gotta eat. My stomach is killing me. You gonna finish that? Yeah, I didn't think so. Why don't you ask me about how I'm doing? Brother, I feel pain too but I'm doing something about it. You should too."

Ray Ray's usually my boy but a little thought for Taylor's family might be more appropriate at a time like this. I'm sure he has plenty of other people that look up to him like Ed Reed, OJ Simpson... Damn, I said I wouldn't go there.

Oh I just got off the phone with God. I know what he wants you to do. He wants you to make better BBQ and rip Tom Brady's dreamy head off on Monday night.

No comments: