Wednesday, June 18, 2008

When You Don't Know What You're Doing Goes Right


It was only a year and a half ago that a collective scream of horror rose from thousands of bars and homes at the end of the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. It wasn't a scream of excitement over the amazing game. It was a scream of horror as Boise State running back Ian Johnson proposed to his girlfriend immediately after the win.

"What the hell are you doing?? Think about what you're doing!! Your stock's never going to be higher!! You idiot!!"

The proposal was only topped by Chris Myers' efforts to ruin the surprise. You may have agreed or disagreed with the timing of Johnson's proposal but there's no question it was strong. France manager Raymond Domenech got the wrong idea.

France was hustled out of Euro 2008 like Tracy McGrady out of the first round and Domenech thought it would be a great idea to propose to his lady friend during the post-match press conference.
"I have only one plan at the moment, it is to marry Estelle, " Domenech said when asked about whether he felt he had a future as France coach.

"And it is only this evening that I ask for her hand in marriage.

"I know it is difficult, but it is in moments like these that one has need of everyone, and I need her. "
Now that's a winning proposal. "Hey baby, my name is Raymond Domenech and I just oversaw the rape of France by the Netherlands, Italy AND Romania. I'm about to lose my job and move back in with my parents. So you wanna make this forever or what?" It worked for George Costanza so it should work for Domenech. Right? Right? ... Hello?

No comments: