Thursday, June 12, 2008

When Mexican Standoffs Go Wrong


One would think being Mexican would give Mexican goalkeeper Oswaldo Sanchez an advantage over the Chicago police in a Mexican standoff. One would be wrong.

Sanchez was arrested at the Mexican team hotel in Chicago following Mexico's match against Peru at Soldier Field last Sunday. The police were called to the hotel following several noise complaints from hotel guests about music blasting from a player's room.
"As usually happens after the games, we couldn't sleep," he said.
Hotel security twice asked the players to turn the volume down but the noise continued and, on the third occasion, the police were called, Sanchez said.

"I went into the corridor to try to calm down the situation and ask them not to take any of my mates, but they grabbed me, sprayed tear gas at me and took me to the police station," Sanchez said.

"I went into the corridor to try to calm down the situation and ask them not to take any of my mates, but they grabbed me, sprayed tear gas at me and took me to the police station," Sanchez said.
Sanchez was released after two hours. He's required to show up for court on July 11. It's unlikely The Sanchez Chronicles will come close to The Kelly Chronicles unless someone videotaped him pissing on a cop.

Either something was lost in translation or the Chicago police don't play when it comes to noise complaints. Showing up in riot gear and throwing tear gas canisters in a closed space like a hotel hallway would definitely kill any noise.

No comments: