Thursday, June 26, 2008

Breakin' The Law, Breakin' The Law


Shawn Chacon is a man of solutions. When faced with a problem, he doesn't cry about it like Milton Bradley. He does something about it. Step to him wrong? That's a chokeout.

Chacon was suspended indefinitely for grabbing Astros GM Ed Wade by the throat and throwing him on the ground. The rumble was allegedly over his demotion to the bullpen.
"I said, 'What do you want to speak to me about?' " Chacon said. "He said, 'We just want to talk to you.' I said, 'Anything you can say, you can say to me right here. I don't want to go to the office.' He looked at me, and I said, 'There's nothing for me to say to you guys.' And I don't think whatever they had to say to me they were going to make me happy. I didn't want to get in a closed-room conversation."

"I sat down to eat, and Ed Wade came to me and very sternly said, 'You need to come with me to the office.' I said, 'For what? I don't want to go to the office with you and Cooper.' And I said, 'You can tell me whatever you've got to tell me right here.' He's like, 'Oh, you want me to tell you right here?' And I said, 'Yeah.' I'm not yelling. I'm calm."

"He started yelling and cussing," Chacon said of Wade. "I'm sitting there, and I said to him very calmly, 'Ed, you need to stop yelling at me. Then I stood up and said, 'You better stop yelling at me.' I stood up. He continued and was basically yelling and stuff and was like, 'You need to (expletive) look in the mirror.' So at that point I lost my cool, and I grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground. I jumped on top of him, because at that point I wanted to beat his (behind). Words were exchanged."
Astros owner Drayton McLane told the team that Chacon won't pitch for the Astros again.
"If you shoved a policeman down or any other public servant ... can you imagine shoving a principal in a school? It was in full view of several players. Players pulled Chacon and restrained him. There's absolutely no way..."
Since when are baseball GMs public servants? Mets fans are probably wishing Chacon played for them. There's really no excuse for a physical attack under these circumstances unless physically provoked. However if things went down as described by Chacon and Wade did get in his face, we're not saying he should have choked him but we understand. We know Spree feels us.

No comments: