Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sports Make You Brilliant

Here's one excuse you can tell the wifey while you're watching your team play in the most important game of the week...every week, watching sports improves your brain function.The best part of that statement is that it's not even a lie. Researchers at the University of Chicago have found that watching sports (or playing sports) "improves language skills when it comes to discussing their sport because parts of the brain usually involved in playing sports are instead used to understand sport language." I dunno what that means, OH WAIT, let me go watch some more sports to figure it out!



Ok, just watched some of the NFL preseason games on replay on the NFL network, basically it means that
"...non-language related activities, such as playing or watching a sport, enhance one's ability to understand language about their sport precisely because brain areas normally used to act become highly involved in language understanding," said Sian Beilock, Associate Professor in Psychology at the University of Chicago.

Oh wait, I didn't actually say that, I just copied it, I guess that means I should watch more sports so I could better convey it to you. What a great excuse this could be, "Honey, i'm watching sports so I can talk to you more and be a better listener because, as you know, watching sports increases my understanding of what you're saying!"

This is just brilliant. Bring on Thursday, i'm ready to watch some football!!! Err, then talk. Yes...that's the ticket.

Via Science Daily

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Feel smarter just from reading this because it was sports related :-)

Truth About It said...

The find of the year....I'm going to send this to others and share the knowledge.